From Outscape Wiki(Redirected from Weapons)
- Ship weapons are chosen during the Ship Design process. Not all weapons are compatible with all hulls, and nearly all weapons first need to be researched before they are available for use.
- There are two primary classes of weapons: Energy Weapons (powered entirely by a ship's power supply, blocked by Shields) and Ordnance Weapons (require onboard Ship Ordnance, not blocked by Shields).
- A weapon's targeting capability depends on whether it is a cannon (fixed mount), turret (can rotate), or indirect fire (fixed, but can change trajectory).
- Other specialist types of weapons include Orbital Weapons, Minelayers and Fighter Carriers.
Cannons (fixed mount)
- Fixed cannons require a clear line of sight to their target, and are unable to fire if another ship is in the way.
- Fixed cannons also cannot move independently of the ship, and are unable to fire at a target not directly within its line of fire.
- Turrets require a clear line of sight to their target, and are unable to fire if another ship is in the way.
- Turrets can move independently of the ship to track and fire at a moving target (indicated by the AS angular speed property).
- Turrets will not track independently of any other fixed weapons that the hull may have, and will not fire until all other weapons are able to do so.
- These weapons do not require a clear line of sight to their target, and so can strike any target in a fleet, even if other ships are in the way. This is indicated by the FT flight time property
- Most indirect-fire weapons also have a splash radius property. Other ships within the splash radius of these weapons' shots will also take damage (ships positioned close to each other in a fleet are vulnerable).
Weapons and fleet formation
Fleet formation decisions have serious consequences in battle. Weapons that require a clear line of fire, such as cannons can't fire at a target if another ship is in the way (friend or foe). Indirect fire weapons and Fighter Carriers however, can strike any target in a fleet as they do not require a clear line of fire, and so are the best choices for ships in the rear of a battle formation.
Types of weapons
Energy-based ship weapons are powered entirely by a ship's power supply. Energy weapons are blocked by Shields but typically do more damage to ships when shields are down/not installed than their ordnance-based counterparts.
|Orbital Strike Cannon LOSC-50|
Fighter Carriers are a type of ship weapon that launch fighter squadrons to attack the enemy during fleet battles.