Orbit Defense Systems
From Outscape Wiki(Redirected from Orbit Defense System)
Orbit defense systems protect a planet's inner orbit against intruders and invasions. They perform two key responsibilities: firing at enemy fleets in orbit, and shooting down invasion forces heading towards the planet's surface (drop-capsules carrying assault troops).
- The home planet of a player starts with a pre-built Level 3 Orbit Defense System.
- Level 1 and 2 Orbit Defense Systems can be unlocked by performing the relevant research.
- Level 1 Orbit Defense Systems can be upgraded to the level above (if that level has been unlocked through research). Level 2 Orbit Defense Systems may not be upgraded to Level 3 - this structure is unique to the player's home world.
- It's not possible to construct a level 2 Orbit Defense System directly - only a level 1 (which can then be upgraded).
Orbit Defense System
|Research to unlock||Orbital Defence System||Orbital Security||Exclusive to home planet|
|Civilization specific names|
|Mankind||Small Orbit Defense||Large Orbit Defense||Orbit Defense|
|The People's Realm||Small Orbit Oppressor||Large Orbit Oppressor||Orbit Oppressor|
|Ripchee||Small Sky Cat||Big Sky Cat||Sky Cat|
|Syntis||TB13A - Orbit Defense||TB13B - Orbit Defense||TB13 - Orbit Defense|
Level 1 and 2 orbit defense systems each need to be unlocked separately by researching the relevant technology (see 'Research to unlock' in the table above).
Constructing and upgrading
- Level 1 orbit defense systems can be constructed directly.
- Level 2 orbit defense systems can be built only by upgrading a level 1 Orbit Defense System.
- Level 3 orbit defense systems can not be constructed - the home planet's will be the only one per player. However, tech-level one and two orbit defense systems can be researched and constructed on any planet the player controls.
The following sections describe the responsibilities that an orbital defense system automatically performs for the planet on which it is installed. These are done automatically, and neither uses ordnance.
Direct Fire against Enemy Fleets
When an enemy fleet first enters the planet's orbit, the orbit defense system will launch a volley of missiles at it, damaging all ships in that fleet. The damage that will be dealt to each ship depends on the tech-level of the orbit defense system. This damage is dealt directly to Armour, and ignores Shields. If the damage dealt is sufficient, the enemy fleet will be destroyed. Multiple fleets in orbit will be attacked in succession, but with a delay between each attack due to the recharge time.
It is worth noting that a planet's orbital defense systems could be destroyed by return fire during an orbital bombing campaign (even the home planet's).
After firing at a fleet in orbit, the orbit defense system cannot fire again until it has recharged. If an attacked fleet wasn't destroyed and remains within the planet's orbit, it will be fired upon again once the recharge time has elapsed.
If an enemy fleet isn't destroyed upon entering a planet's inner orbit, or the orbit defense system is recharging, the fleet could launch an invasion force. This will trigger the orbit defense system to attack and destroy some percentage of the drop-capsules carrying the assault troops before they reach the planet's surface (this function is not affected by the recharge time). The proportion of assaulting troops destroyed depends on the tech-level of the orbit defense system.
If multiple orbit defense systems are built on the same planet they work cumulatively, where the total damage per shot is the sum of all defence systems, but the recharge and anti-invasion rates are of the highest tech-level system installed. The following table shows this with an example based on 1 small and 1 large orbit defense structures built.
|Small Orbit Defense||1||100||180||25%|
|Large Orbit Defense||1||150||180||50%|
Stats & Upgrade costs
|Mankind||Small Orbit Defense||1||Large Orbit Defense||100||180||25%||10,000||100||20,000||5,000||7,200|
|Mankind||Large Orbit Defense||2||Orbit Defense||150||180||50%||10,000||150||20,000||25,000||43,200|
|People's Realm||Small Orbit Oppressor||1||Large Orbit Oppressor||100||180||25%||10,000||100||20,000||5,000||43,200|
|People's Realm||Large Orbit Oppressor||2||Orbit Oppressor||150||180||50%||10,000||150||20,000||25,000||86,400|
|People's Realm||Orbit Oppressor||3||-||150||180||75%||10,000||200||20,000||100,000||129,600|
|Ripchee||Small Sky Cat||1||Big Sky Cat||100||180||25%||10,000||100||20,000||5,000||43,200|
|Ripchee||Big Sky Cat||2||Sky Cat||150||180||50%||10,000||150||20,000||25,000||86,400|
|Syntis||TB13A - Orbit Defense||1||TB13B - Orbit Defense||100||180||25%||10,000||100||20,000||5,000||43,200|
|Syntis||TB13B - Orbit Defense||2||TB13 - Orbit Defense||150||180||50%||10,000||150||20,000||25,000||86,400|
|Syntis||TB13 - Orbit Defense||3||-||150||180||75%||10,000||200||20,000||100,000||129,600|
- Level: the tech-level
- Upgrade: whether the structure can be upgraded to another
- Damage: total damage done per-shot to all ships in a fleet in orbit
- Recharge: time required (in seconds) to be able to fire again at a fleet in orbit
- Anti-invasion: proportion of an invasion force (assault troops in drop-capsules) that will be destroyed before reaching the planet's surface
- Personnel: number of colonists required to operate (contributes to employment)
- PC (Power Consumption MWt): amount of colony power required
- Be (Beron): cost in beron
- Credits: cost in credits
- Build: build time in seconds