Contributing to the wiki
Your help needed
This community wiki is for Outscape players and we need your help to improve it. Your contributions are not only valued, but enable us to focus more time on developing new features and making the best game possible!
While members of the Outscape development team participate in maintaining this wiki, it is a community wiki, and we encourage players to get involved however they can. Contributing could be a sentence or two clarifying how something in the game works, amending stats, fixing grammar on a page, uploading an image, a new page about strategies, a gameplay guide – it's up to you :)
We'd also love it if players would create some really compelling new player guides, with mini missions such as destroying a pirate fleet or colonizing a 2nd homeworld. We know early game is slow and we are working on that, but often new players don't realize there is actually a lot to do which they are overlooking. We'd be happy to see multiple starter guides in the wiki e.g. "Tim's Syntis Newbie guide".
Overall, don't be afraid to add new content. The biggest problem right now is lack of content!
How to help
- Take a look at the pages under the following categories:
- Need starting: pages in this category will be empty (possibly with a data table/image only) and in need of at least some basic details added.
- Need expanding: content in this category needs expanding e.g. more points covered, a data table adding, images.
- Need updating: content that could now be outdated or has room for improvement.
- Need verifying: content in this category needs to be verified for accuracy/quality and moved to Need updating if necessary.
- Validate recent wiki activity (click the diff/hist to see what changed)
- Improve existing pages.
- Correct grammar mistakes and inaccurate content.
Discussing this wiki on the forum
The Outscape forum has an area for discussing this wiki. Please post there if you need help with anything, have any suggestions for this wiki, or wish to discuss something with fellow wiki contributors.
Wiki editing quick start
- Create a wiki account (wiki account is not connected to game accounts)
- Click the "Edit" page tab at the top of the page
- Make changes to the text
- Click the "Show preview" button to preview your changes before committing them
- Once you are satisfied with your changes, click the "Save changes" button
Using the editor
This wiki uses MediaWiki - the same open source software as Wikipedia - so editing this wiki works in the same way. Anything related to editing a page not covered here, should be covered on the MediaWiki Help pages.
To achieve anything other than plain text, special formatting must be used. Typically, this will be limited to headers, lists, links, and some basic font styling e.g. italic or bold. To find out how to format text:
- Visit the MediaWiki page on formatting for a comprehensive list of text formatting options (bold, italic, lists, headers, etc.).
- Click the "Edit" tab on other pages to see how they have used formatting
Headers are used to organise a page and provide structure. The wiki also uses them to automatically generate the page contents shown at the top of most pages.
Headers should be placed on their own line and can be used between Levels 2 and 6 (Level 1 is reserved for the page title).
== Level 2 == === Level 3 === ==== Level 4 ==== ===== Level 5 ===== ====== Level 6 ======
Links can be used to link to both pages and categories. The anchor text can be generated automatically or overridden. In addition to the below examples, you can find out more about link formatting here.
[[Mankind]] (link to the page Mankind) [[Mankind|View the Mankind page]] (link to the page Mankind with custom anchor text) [[:Category:Mankind]] (link to the Mankind category) [[:Category:Mankind|View all Mankind related content]] (link to the Mankind category with custom anchor text)
To use an image on the page, it must be uploaded to the wiki if it hasn't already been. Once uploaded, it can be embedded to a page using the following syntax:
See this page for more info on using images. If another page displays content in a way that you would like to copy, you can always click the "Edit" button to take a look at the code to see how it was done.
Some pages contain data tables which automatically render data that we have exported to a spreadsheet. This data is updated automatically as the game config is adjusted. Pages where these data table tags can be found are fine to edit, but the data table code itself should remain untouched to avoid disabling the table.
This example is taken from the Banshee page:
This example is from the Mankind Hulls page:
Please let us know if there is a particular data table you would like, or have a suggestion concerning any of the existing tables.
Categories are used to organize pages:
- Each page should belong to at least one category.
- Each category should itself belong to at least one other category, except for the top-most Wiki category.
Pages and subcategories can be added to a category by adding the following syntax to its content:
To add content to multiple categories, use additional tags:
[[Category:Mankind Hulls]] [[Category:Mankind]]
See the links section above to find out how to link to a category.